In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Kotaku

As I write this, I'm trying to shake the glaze off of my eyes. In the last two days, I've put in a good 15 hours into Borderlands. I played for about 7 hours today; only stopping because my brother and I felt physically sick from the non-stop Borderlands marathon.

This game has been a huge surprise to me. Nothing about the game's pre-launch hype grabbed me at all. I didn't care that there were 17 million guns in it. I didn't care that it was sort of a mix of Fallout 3 and Diablo. I didn't care much for the cell-shaded art style either. It's pretty, but it doesn't make my jaw drop or anything like that.

But then the reviews came in and were pretty impressive. Then the game at launch sold out everywhere. I found myself talking a lot about a game I had no interest in trying just because the game was so hot at the time. What ultimately pushed me over the edge were my old co-worker and brother committing to playing this game co-op with me should I choose to join.

I received the game as a Christmas present. At first, I wasn't so high on it due to the game starting out kind of slow. It was also a bit jarring making the transition to this after beating Modern Warfare 2, as Borderlands is a completely different experience. However, the moment I hit Sledge's hideout, the game grabbed me tight and has ceased to let me go.

Image from kombo

What was it about Sledge's hideout that made the difference? Not much, really. It was though at this point where the game all came together for me. My initial indifference towards the vast arsenal of guns in the game quelled when I found myself in Sledge's hideout, finding awesome gun after awesome gun. I wanted to take them all with me while keeping my current stash, but my backpack size wouldn't allow for it. From then on, the game becomes a constant hunt for bigger and better weaponry. You'll pour over stats and constantly think about which guns to keep, which to sell, and which to ditch in order to make room for the next thing.

It was also here where I told my brother about how the game came together for me at this moment. He too was cool on the game until we went back and played through Sledge's hideout. From then on, I've played most of the game along with my brother. Having split-screen co-op has made the experience so much better for us. With many games foregoing split-screen completely, it is awesome that my brother and I can play through this game together. For those who don't have the luxury of couch co-op, there is four-player online co-op you can take part in as well.

Since then, my brother and I have become completely absorbed in the world of Pandora. We're having a lot of fun playing through all of the main quests and side quests. There are so many many different quests and quest types that I don't see this experience ending anytime soon. Having spent about 20 hours on this game thus far, I'm only about half way through the main quest. On top of that and all the side stuff, the game includes a "playthrough 2", which lets you play through the game again which things changed up. To get through all of that could take you easily 100 hours of play time. Should you want to get really deep into the game and beat it with all four character classes, you could easily drop a few hundred more hours into the game.

Image from jeux-video

There are a lot of different elements to Borderlands that make the game so fun and engaging. I almost feel like if they had nailed this execution perfectly, this game has the potential to be one of the best games of all-time. I'm not even into this style of game, but I can see a ton of potential in this game. Before I drown myself in hyperbole though, I can't talk about Borderlands without bringing up some of its glaring and fundamental faults.

A few days ago, I posted an entry about some of the glitchy elements of Borderlands. After spending a lot more time with it, I still feel like the whole game is kind of janky. The shooting mechanics don't feel quite right. You never really get a sense of impact when you shoot at anything. There have been a number of spots where my character gets weirdly stuck. Twice in the same day I was completely immobile and had to quit the game in order to get out of it. Since then, there have been a few more instances where my character will be stuck for a few moments and I don't understand why.

Speaking of glitchy, there was one point in the first Circle of Death mission where the final skag ended up clipping through a wall into an area he couldn't attack me from. I could shoot it with bullets through the wall, but explosives did nothing to it.

The AI of the enemies also leaves a lot to be desired. Most enemies will simply run at you or attack you with very basic patterns. Sometimes, enemies won't move at all, which allows you to just stand still and shoot them until they die. The level scaling of the enemies does cover up some of the AI's faults, but in a lot of games this level of AI is inexcusable.

Image from inglorio

While I am thankful for the inclusion of split-screen co-op, the way the menus work out in co-op are awful. Instead of scaling the menus down to fit the split-screens, they keep all the menus at original size and force both players to manually adjust their view to see whatever part of the menu they need. It's an embarrassing oversight in my opinion, especially for a game where navigating menus is such an important part of the experience.

The frame-rate during intense moments does dip below 30 frames per second, which leads to brief moments of choppiness. It never really gets in the way when you play by yourself. In split-screen, intense moments of action make the game chug more. At one point specifically, we thought the game crashed because everything just froze. In fact, it was just the frame-rate dropping to single digits.

Way-points are another sore-spot for Borderlands. For most of the game, following the way-points will lead you exactly where you need to go. However, a number of quests don't work this way. Instead, the way-point will just lead you to a general area where you'll then have to figure the rest out for yourself. Not knowing this can leave a player annoyed to no end. I've had items I need to find end up upwards of 100 yards away from the way-point. Next time around, way-points should always lead you exactly to where you need to go or give you a general idea of where to go. Never both.

Image from analoghype

Traversing across different zones is also problematic. While the game does give you the option to spawn vehicles and warp from certain points, the game does a poor job of telling you how each of the worlds are connected. When you pull up your map, it only indicates "transitions" from one zone to another without telling you which transition leads to which zone. If you don't memorize what each transition is for every zone and don't know exactly where you need to teleport to get to your destination, you could find yourself needlessly walking or driving through three or four different zones while wasting 15 to 20 minutes of your time in the process.

Reading this, you're probably wondering how I could one minute call this a game with the potential to be the best game of all-time and then immediately follow-up with a number of faults with it. Does my initial sentiment still stand? Yes. In spite of its flaws, Borderlands succeeds where it matters most: fun-factor. The feeling I get from playing this game is a feeling that only comes out when I play something really special. You can easily drop dozens or hundreds of hours into this game and have a blast the entire time. With over 2 million copies of the game sold, it's almost inevitable that a sequel to Borderlands will emerge at some point. If Gearbox can match the game's fun-factor with equally awesome production values, the sequel has the potential to be phenomenal.

Until then, my brother and I are going to be spending a lot more time in the world of Pandora.

0 comments:

Post a Comment