In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Gamespot

*The post title may be exaggerating, a bit.


Rambo on the original Nintendo is a game I fondly remember for all the wrong reasons. Back when I was no more than 8 years old, I rented this at my local video store. It was the worst video game I've ever rented.

The problem with the game is that it starts out with the most obtuse and confusing hub world I've ever experienced in a video game. I found myself walking left and right across the screen, going into every door and I couldn't find a way out to actually play the game. Never before had I been so stumped as to how to actually start the game. Without the help of the Internet available to me, I never figured out how to get out of that hub world. What a waste of a two-day rental.

Many years later, I tried to play it again using an emulator. I said to myself I wouldn't use a guide to get through that hub world, just to see if I was a dumb kid that didn't know any better. Nope. I played it for a good 20 minutes and still couldn't figure it out.

If I wanted to go back now and actually play through it, I probably could. However, from all accounts I've heard about NES Rambo, they all say it's terrible. For all the things I've said about bad game design, in my heart I still think the Rambo hub world is the absolute worst thing I've ever encountered.

0 comments:

Post a Comment