In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Geekologie

Over these past few weeks of unemployment, I have played a lot of video games. I do spend time every weekday applying for jobs, and I've even gone to a few job interviews, but I think it would be unreasonable to expect me to spend every moment awake job-hunting.

So with nowhere to go and not much to do when I'm not job-hunting, I play video games. On one hand, I have almost all the time in the world to get around to playing everything that I have that I haven't put the time into. For all the complaining I did before about not having the time to play video games, well...this is sort of what I asked for. It's fun to just hibernate in my basement and play games every now and then, but I really couldn't do this forever.

I know there are other people who literally just play video games all day. I can't live that life. There are other things I want to do. In particular, I still have career ambitions that are going nowhere and a bank account that isn't being fed anymore. The stress of not having that security does tinge all of my recent gaming sessions with a bit of guilt.

But even if I won the lottery today and finances weren't an issue, playing video games to the extreme level that some people play them kind of freaks me out. There are just other things I would like to do with my time other than play games.

0 comments:

Post a Comment