In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from IGN

If you've been following my blog for the past few months, then you'll know that I am a huge fan of Street Fighter IV and a fan of iPhone games. However, like the thought of eating a steak topped with ice cream, the recently announced Street Fighter IV iPhone port has made me throw up in my mouth just a little bit. I can't imagine this being anything but an absolute nightmare to play.

The problem with controlling "traditional" games onto the iPhone is that the iPhone doesn't have the proper interface to handle these games. Without physical buttons on the platform, developers have tried to shoehorn in traditional games with on-screen buttons and directional pads, all of which I've thought have failed horribly. I've tried Megaman 2, Earthworm Jim, Resident Evil 4 and Sonic the Hedgehog on the iPod Touch, all of which I could have controlled better using my feet if I had a regular controller. Not having physical buttons and tactile feedback completely takes away the precision and usability required to properly play these games. The other problem is that your thumbs eat up almost half the screen, making it difficult to actually see what you're doing.

What makes Street Fighter IV on the iPhone even more baffling is that Street Fighter in its traditional form requires at least six action buttons and precision controls. Many players will only play Street Fighter with a joystick. At the very least, having six buttons is critical to the way that game was designed. I've played Street Fighter on the Genesis with a 3-button controller and Street Fighter on the Gameboy, which only had 2 buttons and both were awful. Knowing what I know about controlling games on the iPhone and seeing how they've laid out the buttons, I can't see this being anything other than a complete mess.

Image from Console Classix

If there's a demo, I'd definitely give it a shot. Also, I hate to be judgmental about a game that isn't even out yet. However, knowing what I know about both Street Fighter and the iPhone doesn't give me high hopes for this product. Let's hope for the best, but my expectations are fairly low.


0 comments:

Post a Comment