In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Kotaku

I normally pay no mind to video game related petitions. They're usually stupid demands made by and supported by equally stupid gamers. But I couldn't help but discuss this recent petition related to Sonic 4. To be fair, not everyone in the petition is in support of it, and some people are there just to make fun of them like I'm about to.

The petition statement:
Fans of the sonic series are like most sega fans, we want their old games brought back to the glory days when sega was pretty much the power in video games. Seeing the gameplay of sonic 4 has made many of us realize what we already knew, Sonic 4 will simply not be anywhere near as good as the original sonic games. Either way, We will decide to finally show sega what the fans truly want. A real sonic 4, as long as sonic 4 stays the way it is, we will not buy it, we will in fact buy sonic 1 on release in protest of sonic 4, till we end up with a re tool, or change, we want sonic in hd, not sonic RUSH HD. We will not buy a future sonic game, till we get a true successor to sonic 1/2
There are a number of ridiculous things I can point out about this flawed argument, from the fact that we've only really seen 5 seconds of actual gameplay, to the fact that no people outside of Sega have played it, or that Sonic Rush kind of is the same thing as Sonic 1 (and is kind of good), or that Sonic 4 kind of is Sega's attempt to recapture the feel of Sonic 1. But I won't point those out. What I will point out is...

WHY ARE YOU GOING TO SHOW SEGA HOW MUCH YOU DISLIKE ONE OF THEIR GAMES BY BUYING ONE OF THEIR GAMES!?

You're still giving them money, whether you buy Sonic 1 or 4. Sega wins either way and your stupid cause is more meaningless than it already is.

As bonus material, I decided to post some choice comments from the petition below. Enjoy.
Name: Andie Key on Feb 18, 2010
Comments: I had hope for the game, even after the trailer. Turns out the gameplay and game truly is crap. I won't be tricked again SEGA (looks at you unleashed)

Name: Garnet M. on Feb 19, 2010
Comments: its just a 2d sonic game gears of war is much better anyway

Name:
Goog on Feb 19, 2010
Comments:
If it even gets one score 8.5 I call BS SONIC 4 is TERRIBLE

Name: Sonic 92 on Feb 20, 2010
Comments: I am a fan of the Sonic games, I am very unhappy that Sega has made Sonic 4 the way that they have. I urge you sega, do not release the game as is. I will pray you do the right thing.

Name: Anonymous on Feb 21, 2010
Comments: yo dis looks like a game ud get at micky DS yo

0 comments:

Post a Comment