In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Destructoid

As an adult, Mario games make me feel kind of weird. A game about a fat plumber and his brother romping around a magical world trying to save a princess from a giant turtle is not exactly adult fare. However, Mario games are also universally fun, regardless of age. In particular, I grew up in the early heyday of Super Mario 1, so 2D Mario games strike a very specific chord in my heart - sort of like how many adults still love watching Disney movies.

After months of - I admit - playing other games, I just finished New Super Mario Bros. Wii. For a number of reasons, I've pushed this game to the back of my queue, but never because it was a bad game. I'm just not often in the mood to play a Mario game nowadays. But every time I've booted up New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I've always had a good time.

I don't know what it is about Nintendo (or what it is about other developers), but when it comes to platforming games, Super Mario games still rule supreme after almost three decades. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is another example of a straight-up fun platformer. Mario controls as you would expect, making it easy for anyone to jump right in. The level design is top-notch. Each level seemed to have something unique to it, and often times things I hadn't seen done in a Mario game before, or twists on familiar elements that make things fresh.

Image from My Wii

Just by looking at it thought, you may miss out on the new twists that make this one great. Graphically, it's essentially the DS game on your TV. It looks alright, but it's definitely not the prettiest Wii game you'll ever see. The new power-ups are alright. The propeller suit is a fan favourite, while the penguin suit didn't do much for me. Ice flowers are cool too, once you get used to their projectile arc.

Of course, the biggest selling point to this game is 4-player simultaneous co-op. How did I go this far without mentioning it? Anyway, this mode is really fun and hectic. Having to work together to get through these levels does change the dynamics of the game to an extent. It also opens the game up for people of varying skill levels to all join in. I played this 4-player with my 3 year-old cousin, who because he had three older cousins playing with him, he could still have fun with it even though he wasn't very good.

The saving grace of co-op is "bubble mode". At any time, you can place yourself in a bubble to be invincible. However, one of your teammates has to pop you out of the bubble to resume control. If you're in a bubble when everyone else dies, then you all lose. Even with seasoned Mario veterans, it can be very tricky to run through a level together without strategically using bubble mode to get through spots. During hairy spots, we would have certain people go into the bubble and have one person run through by themselves because it would actually be easier that way.


The only real bummer to me about this game are the boss fights and lack of online play. With the exception of the final boss fight, the rest of them are trapped in 8-bit gameplay conventions. They don't vary much from what you faced in Super Mario 3. That last boss fight though...oh man! As for the multiplayer, I know that this game is best suited for on-the-couch multiplayer, but with most of the competition sporting some sort of online play, it would have been a nice touch.

For those who still want to play 2D Mario, you can't go wrong with the latest Wii installment. I've had a lot of fun with it and my cousins and I often bust it out when we're all together, but it's still fun on your own should you not have people to play with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment