In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Esquire

I can't go anywhere without my iPod Touch. As my all-in-one mini computer, I use it for everything from media consumption, note-taking and games. While I was swept up in Peggle fever a few months back, one game has remained a staple in my iPod Touch game library. That game is Drop 7. It's by no measure a new game. I bought the game months before I started this blog, and even then it wasn't new. However, I have consistently gone back to this game and play it almost daily. It's a great and simple game that is perfect to play on the go.

If you haven't tried it yet (you have no reason not to, because there's a free demo available), the game is sort of like a mix between Tetris and Sudoku, though that's not entirely accurate either. I have a very hard time articulating how to actually play this game, but within two plays, it just clicked for me. From then on, I was hooked on dropping my numbered tiles into the well to make other blocks disappear. It has a very similar appeal to Tetris in a way. The big difference, besides the matching of numbers and column/row lengths, is that you have complete control over when you drop your pieces. This makes the game much easier to jump into or jump out of, because you can play it at your own pace.

There are three modes of play: Normal, Hardcore and Sequence. I played normal for a while, but got good to the point where a game would last me 45 minutes to an hour. Now, I play almost exclusively Hardcore, which can be over and done with in five-minutes or less. Sequence is a mode I never really got into, because it's been the same puzzle for me every time.

Not much else to say other than that. Drop 7 is a great puzzle game that has such a solid gameplay concept around it that it could last you forever. There is a free demo on iTunes for you to try out as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment