In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from PS3 Revolution

In November of 2007, Super Mario Galaxy was released to great fanfare. It received eye-popping reviews and a number of awards. I bought the game on day 1, but for a number of reasons, didn't actually play it until a few months after the fact.

When I finally did play it though, I found myself in the midst of Nintendo magic. Even without the benefit of HD, Mario Galaxy is pretty to look at. The orchestrated soundtrack is excellent. For the most part, it controls really well. Most importantly, the game's unique take on 3D platforming was highly refreshing and creative.

However, I got about 40 stars before I just stopped playing the game. Up until recently, I hadn't played the game in years and forgot why I stopped playing it in the first place. After about an hour of playing the game again, I remembered why.

Image from IGN

For everything that this game does right (which is just about everything), this game just didn't hook me in. I never felt the urge to keep playing or the inability to put the controller down. When I really like a game, it becomes like cocaine to me to the point where I will spend every minute possible with it till I beat it. I liked what Nintendo did with this game, and wouldn't really ask them to change anything about it, but I'm having a hard time finding the motivation in me to keep playing this game.

I don't think it's necessarily a fault in the game. I think it might have something to do with me at this point in my gaming life, though I'm not so sure about that, either. Sure, I spend most of my time playing more mature content, such as Modern Warfare 2, Street Fighter IV and the Mass Effect series, but I still managed to finish New Super Mario Bros. Wii in a matter of months rather than a matter of years. And it's not necessarily a 3D bias either, because Super Mario 64 holds a very special place in my nerd heart.

Regardless of what it might be, I don't know where Super Mario Galaxy went "wrong" with me. I'm still aiming on beating it before Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes out later this month, but I won't make any promises.

0 comments:

Post a Comment