In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from IGN

Due to the varying interests and skill levels, finding games for my girlfriend and I to enjoy on the same level is difficult. Every now and then she'll play one of "my" games and I'll play "her" games, but I can only really think of one video game series that we can really call "ours". That series, is Boom Blox for the Wii.

If you're not familiar with the critically acclaimed and lukewarm selling Boom Blox series of games, I'll give you a very quick rundown of what it's about. Boom Blox has a number of different game types, all of which revolve around interacting with blocks. This includes throwing baseballs at a stack of blocks, skillfully removing blocks Jenga style, hitting blocks into multipliers and more. Sure, that description sounds really lame and even watching videos of the game doesn't sell the game that well. But when you get that Wii remote in your hand and you knock down a giant stack of blocks to the chagrin of your opponent(s), you'll get it.

Your girlfriend will too. Well, at least mine did. And a few other girls I know with boyfriends got it as well. Heck, pretty much everyone I've put Boom Blox in front of has loved it. It's a shame that Boom Blox has not caught on with the masses, because it's awesome for everyone. But I'm not here to talk about everyone. This post is just about Steff and I.

Image from IGN

What makes this game universally appealing is the gameplay. It is extremely easy for anybody to figure out almost instantly, but tricky to master. Most of the game modes also do not require twitch reflexes, which takes out another layer of difficulty. Where it lacks in twitch gameplay it makes up for in strategy. During that moment when you've figured out the absolute best way to handle your situation and the reward is watching a hundred blocks fly off into oblivion, it just feels good.

As a competitive multiplayer game, both Boom Blox games are a blast to play. They're almost as easy as Wii Sports in terms of universal pick-up-and-play appeal with a steeper learning curve for anyone looking to take it to the next level. My girlfriend and I often duel in Boom Blox and the competition is always heated. Unfortunately for me, she wins more than I do. Even as a single player game though, it can be fun to work out levels together. One person can be in charge with the Wii remote and together you can form a plan of action.

Whether we're battling to the death for Boom Blox champion supremacy or working together to solve crazy block puzzles, the Boom Blox series of games are awesome to play together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment