In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from 1up Games

Buying video games is not very hard to do. Outside of the usual suspects such as Gamestop and EB Games, you can purchase a copy of the newest Halo game at most electronic stores, department stores, music stores, video rental stores and more. When it's time for me to purchase a game, I generally just buy from the closest or cheapest store. With that said, I much prefer the shopping experience in an independent video game store and I try and support these stores as often as possible.

For me, my love of indie game stores began around the time I got my Super Nintendo. There was a small chain of video game stores close to my house that became my go-to place to shop due to its great selection on new and used video games, reasonable prices (particularly on used games) and excellent customer service. Even though I was just a kid at the time, they recognized that I was a knowledgeable gamer and they never pandered to me. I would frequently trade-in my games there and pre-order the next new release during the few times I had the money to buy something brand new. This store in particular played a big part in getting me back on my feet when my house was robbed of all my video game stuff.

Unfortunately, this particular small chain has dwindled dramatically to the point where there are less than 10 in my entire province and the closest one is an hour away from my house. This problem isn't isolated to this chain though. Indie stores are having a hard time competing with all the other places that sell games, which has really dwindled the number of indie stores around. I can only think of one indie game store in my city, which is on the other side of town.

Image from 1up Games

So with so few of them around, why should you bother? The first thing that I always soak in is the atmosphere. While these stores are generally in small spaces, they tend to have a lot of games in them. In particular, indie game stores are a haven of classic and retro games. Stores that sell used products generally stop at the last generation before the current one. If you want to check out old NES or Genesis games, indie game stores are one of the few places left. I love being in a store where I can get a glimpse of the entire history of games in one place, even if I don't plan on buying anything.

Indie game stores are also great for harder to find current generation games. You can buy Halo games anywhere, but finding niche games can be really hard if you don't know where to look. Indie game stores are great at having these types of games in stock or the ability to order them for you if you like. One of the old indie game stores I used to shop at would actually order Japanese imports for you if you wanted.

Image from IGN

If you are a gamer on a budget that is looking to shop for used games or discounted games, indie game stores are generally a better bet. Unlike many major retailers that will sell you a new release at $5 less used, indie game stores generally have more reasonable prices on their games. They'll also give you more credit on your trade-ins generally.

What has stood out for me the most about indie stores is the customer service and the community aspects of the store. In particular, if you're dealing with the owners of the store, they're really good at making sure you get what you want. They're also knowledgeable gamers themselves, which lends itself to building trust and rapport with the store. I also love how these stores often try and reach out to the community. I always like to see when these stores advertise or organize tournaments and meet-ups. The last one I went to advertised a Street Fighter IV tournament, which I was very tempted to join. I know I would get owned if I participated, but I would love to watch.

Indie game stores are just as much an experience to me as they are a store to buy games. Most of the good ones I know of are out of town, but whenever I'm in those cities I make it a point to try and visit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment