In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from IGN

I loved Fight Night Round 4. I loved how the gameplay engine was tweaked so that the game played and moved a lot more realistically. While it wasn't perfect (in particular all of the menu-based stuff was borderline maddening), it's easily the best boxing video game around and I enjoyed it greatly.

So why did I furiously trade it in after owning it for only two weeks?

I was on my 50th fight in career mode. My character had a record of 48-0-2. I was about to train for my 50th fight when...the game crashes.

I don't know what could have caused the problem. So I tried it again. No dice. Tried to skip the training session. Nope. It would continue to crash on the date May 17, 2024 every single time.

There was no way around it; I was screwed. After hours of working my way to the top, my career was essentially destroyed by a glitch in the game. Great.

On EA Sports support forums, they refer to this as a "rare freeze issue". However, with over 500 posts in that particular thread, I have a hunch that I'm not alone on this one. They say a patch is on the way, but it won't come for another few weeks.

I understand it's probably the best they can do at this point, but that's not good enough of an answer for me. Sure, I could have just played Quick Match. I could have played online against a friend. I could have even tried Career Mode again and maybe not run into the same problem. But really there isn't any excuse for me being in this position in the first place. And what if the patch didn't fix my problem?

I refuse to support games that don't do the fundamental stuff, like work as they should. The moment I realized what had happened, I packed up the game and quickly traded it in at my local video game shop for something else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment