In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Video Games Blogger

As someone whose fighting game history is almost exclusively tied to Street Fighter, BlazBlue makes me feel as though I'm on another planet. While the general idea of one-on-one fighting is the same and there are many parallels that can be drawn in terms of the execution of normal attacks and special attacks, BlazBlue is a very different fighting experience.

The overall pace of the game is notably slower than say, Street Fighter IV, yet it's still more frenetic. The combo system rewards crazy combos that can finish an opponent off before they get a chance to press a finger down onto the controller. Even the heads-up-display and how it works will vary based on what character you choose. It's not my place to get into all of the intricacies of the fighting engine though. There are a lot of other sites that cover that type of stuff a lot better than I ever could.



Not to say that the differences make this a bad game, but a very different one from what I'm used to. Like most fighting games, the learning curve is fairly steep, so it's going to take me some time before I ever get If you are a fighting game fan and you're looking for something new, there is a lot to like about BlazBlue. The 2D-graphics are absolutely stunning. The gameplay is deep enough for fighting fans to really get into and master. Also, the experience does feel very fresh, as the roster of characters are fairly unique and nobody in the cast plays like Ryu. Come to think of it, almost every 2D fighting game I can think of has at least one character that plays like Ryu in it. Having a character like him would probably help ease me into this game, but I think the game is probably better overall without it.

The game isn't without a few faults, however. While the production values during gameplay are incredible, the same love and care was not put into the content between fights. Most of it consists of barely animating characters talking in front of a static background. The voice-acting is pretty bad; likely what you'd expect from translated Japanese anime. Also, the story is so incomprehensible that trying to follow it in the story mode will make your head explode. The most out-there portions of the story revolve around this series of cut-scenes below:



I do intend on sticking with it and seeing where I go from there. I'll keep you updated on my progress of trying to learn the game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment