In Third Person

A personal look into video games, the video game industry and video game culture.

Image from Arcade Game Sales

Over the weekend, I was out with my girlfriend on a date that partially consisted of a trip to the local...I'm hesitant to call it an "arcade", cause it's more of an amusement place with lots of arcade games in it. Semantics aside, they had a Street Fighter IV arcade machine there. This is significant because Capcom never made a North American arcade version, so this place actually imported a machine (not the one above, but something like it). I didn't think this place in particular would do that, but there it was and I had to give it a go.

With over 70 hours of experience, 1000+ matches and a 65% winning percentage, I knew I wasn't a complete scrub and could actually do some damage. However, there was one problem that has forever plagued me since the inception of arcade fighting games.

Image from Gizmodo

I may be in the minority here, but I play my fighting games with a control pad. I never jumped on the joystick bandwagon. Growing up, I almost never got a chance to play in the arcades, because my parents deemed me too young to go to the arcade alone to play. During the few times I actually got to play in the arcade, I was up against either a tough computer opponent, a guy twice my age who didn't care that they were going to school a kid in Street Fighter II, and I just wasn't used to the feel of a joystick and that button layout. By the time I was old enough to go to the arcade and play for real, fighting games had become too complicated and unappealing to me.

This time, the only thing holding me back was the joystick and buttons. I'll give credit where credit is due; the guys I played against were good. But I really believe I could have taken them if my hands could communicate with the joystick like they do with the controller. It was exceedingly frustrating to not perform to my best in front of that crowd knowing I would be better with what most would consider an inferior setup.

It's gotten me thinking seriously about investing in a joystick. There are a number of reasons why I shouldn't invest in a stick, but just for my own piece of mind I'm thinking of finally overcoming that hurdle and going joystick.

I may never play Street Fighter IV in an arcade ever again, but maybe the switch in some way, shape or form will be worth it. Should I take the plunge?

0 comments:

Post a Comment